Skateboarding has become more and more popular among young people over the years. It help enhance your overall fitness (including cardiovascular fitness), and flexibility.
There are a lot of things needed to be taken into account when it comes to buying a new skateboard. One of them would be safety. Many people think of skateboarding as a dangerous sport, that’s because it’s common to see people get hurt when skateboarding. However, the sport itself isn’t dangerous; it’s a combination of reasons such as not using the right skateboard and pads for protection, skating in inappropriate areas…
Choosing a good skateboard can be challenging, especially for beginners. Apart from the cost, you also have to consider the trucks, the deck, the wheels, and the complete board. You have to choose between a ready-made skateboard and a skateboard that’s needed to be assembled. It’s important to have basic understanding of skateboard construction in order to make a good decision.
Tips on choosing a good skateboard
Buying your skateboard online can help you save some money but you can learn and receive advice about skateboarding and skateboards from your local skateboard store.
- A complete skateboard: Ranges from $50 to $200. If you want to spend less on a good skateboard, go with a complete one. A complete skateboard is not as good as a custom made one, but it helps you save money and you can always replace a bad component any time.
- A custom made skateboard: Ranges from $90 to $500. If you want a much better skateboard and you’re willing to invest some more, go with a custom made skateboard.
Types of skateboards
There are several types of skateboards:
- A long skateboard: Ranges from $60 to $500: A great choice for beginners who want to learn to skate. They ride smoothly but very hard and you can’t do a lot of tricks with it.
- A classic skateboard: Ranges from $60 to $400: A good skateboard for cruising.
- A street/vert skateboard: Ranges from $70 to $200: Can do a lot of tricks.
- Width: The width of a skateboard is a very important factor. It has to be proportionate and comfortable for the skater to stand on. For a person of around 5 feet, the maximum width should be 8 inches. And for a person of around 6 feet, the minimum width should be 8 inches.
- Length: The length ranges from 30 inches to 33 inches. Longboard skateboards can be made up to 47 inches. A 30 inch long deck is recommended for beginners.
Just like the width, trucks also vary in widths. Wider trucks shorten the turning radius of a skater and stabilize the landing better. Thin trucks are lighter allowing the skater to do stunts and tricks more easily. It’s important to make sure the main bolt in truck won’t stick up with grinding surface when you try to slide or grind along the edge of the skateboard.
The width of the trucks should fit with the width of the deck and shouldn’t be sticking out or in too much.
Wheels also vary in sizes and hardness levels.
- Choose the wheels ranging from 65 mm to 100 mm because they provide comfort and easily balanced rides. Larger wheels cover more surface area thereby enables you to skate faster.
- Wheels around 55 mm or less are quite hard and are good for street skaters. They are lighter in weight which is easier to flip. You can also choose wheels ranging from 55 mm to 65 mm. For longboard skaters who use it for transport and cruise, there are exclusive wheels.
They are very important (especially with street skating) in case you want to keep rolling without having to push constantly. They are determined with the ABEC scale. Keep in mind that the ABEC scales only measures the precision of the bearing not how long and well it rolls.
The ABEC ratings are: 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9.
The recommended rating is above 3 which means go with 5, 7. However, for beginners, super-fast bearings are not a good choice.
Ceramic balls last longer than steel balls, don’t absorb as much heat, and don’t need to be lubricated as much. However, ceramic balls are more expensive.
Where to buy a good skateboard?
Safety should always be made a high priority. So stay away from cheap skateboards, they’re not worth the risk. Purchasing a skateboard online will be a better deal since they’re usually cheaper and there are more options for you to choose from.
Nowadays, the Internet has everything that you need, you don’t even have to go outside and the product will be sent to your front door. If you just want to replace a broken component or want to upgrade it, and the superstores don’t have one, go online and search for one.